Month: April 2017

Experiments with photo page layouts 3

Time for a second prototype!

  • Set up new WordPress installation in
  • Changed password to full length to match other website
  • Built “wpehs” website page by page to match most of “swehs” version
  • Changed internal file references to external ones (Notepad++ search and replace came in handy here!)
  • Note that Execute permissions on external files still need to be checked out – I’ve possibly opened the permissions up too far. But PDFs may need Execute, even if images don’t. More experimentation needed.

The external online folders are…

  • historicnews
  • historicphotos
  • historicsupplements

Anything I’ve loaded into the Media Library is duplicated in a folder on my PC called “historicresources”


Next step will be to try a backup. Note the complication that all my WP sites are in a single database!

Experiments with photo page layouts 2

Decided that the best bet – from a backup point of view – would be to store the data files such as photos, videos and documents externally (rather than in Media), and to keep the WordPress installation light so that it would back up easily.

Successfully trialled external photos, presented using a table layout. Altenate rows are photo, and label (with a white background). You need a blank header row to get the white background on the right rows. This presents well on phone and tablet as well.

It’s essential to have the right file permissions for this to work (755 on the folder, 644 on the files – may need to review the “Execute” permissions)

The experiments at were with fairly small files, 135 kb (900 x 600 px) to 2 Mb (3304 x 2397 px). An “average” one would be 740 kb (1632 x 1172). Need to consider resizing to a standard size. The photos are presented as 300 px wide, so resizing all to say 1500 px wide would be a good compromise – need to try using bulk resizing in Photoshop Elements, see

Followed this procedure, selecting 1500 px, Constrain Proportions, and 72 dpi, convert files to jpg Medium Quality. The result was 103 kb to 503 kb, all 1500 px wide. Worked well. Uploaded to replace files, and the page loads quickly. Quite good quality even when clicked on to magnify.


Experiments with photo page layouts

I played with a table layout, but one-column looked sparse, and two-column wouldn’t fit on a mobile screen.

However just dropping the photos in worked fine, if the photos were centred.

Then when I added some text – lorem ipsum paragraphs – I found that both text and photos fitted neatly on the mobile, as well as on iPad. And the portrait format on the mobile even formatted neatly when some of the photos were left or right aligned!

(See )

The vertical photos were resized to custom width 300.

The photos had Captions and Alt Text generated from a spreadsheet, e.g. SWEHS_5.2.021.jpg – Date 1920 – Customer record.

Note that the photos were renamed before being uploaded to avoid the problem of the space in the name – not sure that this was strictly necessary. Try again in the next trail.

Once I have a procedure, need to try a nearly-blank installation of WordPress with say 1000 photos loaded, and then whether I can then run a backup properly.

Header logo changed

Header logo changed to “Western Power Electricity Historical Society”, with explanation in text of Home Page.

© 2017

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑