Summary:

The search, and the display of the search results, are produced using the code in each individual photo’s Description field. There is no way to update many photos at once, it has to be done manually using the Album Admin – Bulk facility, copying and pasting on each line. Tedious but I managed to get up to 1000 or so updates an hour.

There are so many photos and so much data in the website now that I need to turn to Backup and Restore functionality, together with how to migrate the whole site to another host.

Films Album not edited – the manual descriptions might be better – consider **********.

Detail:

I used the following code in the Description field in the Photos album:

<table><tbody>
<tr><td>w#cc1</td><td>w#cd1</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc2</td><td>w#cd2</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc3</td><td>w#cd3</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc4</td><td>w#cd4</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc5</td><td>w#cd5</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc6</td><td>w#cd6</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc7</td><td>w#cd7</td></tr>
</tbody></table>

Pasted this into the Description field on SWEHS 4.001.jpg.jpg, the first photo in Bristol Tramways and Carriage
Should now show up on Search for Counterslip.
Yes it does!

Second test: Pasted this into the Description field on SWEHS000001a.jpg, , the second photo in Artefacts.
Should now show up on Search for earthenware.
Yes it does!

So I need to bulk update the Description field in this Album.

Opened Table 2 CSV file
Created a column Description

Couldn’t put this in the lines:
<table><tbody><tr><td>w#cc1</td><td>w#cd1</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc2</td><td>w#cd2</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc3</td><td>w#cd3</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc4</td><td>w#cd4</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc5</td><td>w#cd5</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc6</td><td>w#cd6</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc7</td><td>w#cd7</td></tr></tbody></table>
Tried posting this into the cell for the first Counterslip photo, but it spread it out over various cells (because of the tr codes)

So copied the various custom cells into a Description_formula column I:
=F386&” “&A386&” “&B386&” “&C386&” “&D386&” “&E386&” “&G386&” “&H386
for the nine Counterslip photo records

Copied column I to Column J (Paste Values)
Saved as Archive Photographic Register Table 1 plus formula.csv
Deleted column I
Saved as Archive Photographic Register Table 1 plus description.csv
Close, Don’t save

Filezilla transferred to Depot and removed previous Table 1 CSV
Import Photos, Import
Response: “All available custom data fields are in use. There is no space for Description”
OK, let’s try something different:
In the Photo Albums -> Album admin -> Edit Album information -> Manage Photos admin page, you will see the input fields for the custom data right below the Description input area.
In the Album Description area, instead of “4.0 Bristol Tramways and Carriage” put:
<table><tbody>
<tr><td>w#cc1</td><td>w#cd1</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc2</td><td>w#cd2</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc3</td><td>w#cd3</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc4</td><td>w#cd4</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc5</td><td>w#cd5</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc6</td><td>w#cd6</td></tr>
<tr><td>w#cc7</td><td>w#cd7</td></tr>
</tbody></table>

Search for Counterslip didn’t work, so reverted to “4.0 Bristol Tramways and Carriage”

Created a new file Table 2 update.csv containing these two lines:
Filename, Description
Filename, Description
SWEHS 4.,<table><tbody><tr><td>w#cc1</td><td>w#cd1</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc2</td><td>w#cd2</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc3</td><td>w#cd3</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc4</td><td>w#cd4</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc5</td><td>w#cd5</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc6</td><td>w#cd6</td></tr><tr><td>w#cc7</td><td>w#cd7</td></tr></tbody></table>
… hoping that it would do a wildcard match to the Filename.

Import Photos, Import
Response: “All available custom data fields are in use. There is no space for Description”

Grrr….

So using a slower method:
Album Admin, Bulk, copy the code into Description for each photo individually.
Success! Search for tram returned 2, search for Counterslip returned 8, search for temple returned 1.

Updated all 385 photos in BCED Album in 25 minutes, so not too slow.
Again success! Search for cable returned 42, substation returned 66, transformer returned 11.

Did a similar manual update for all the other albums except Films.
Had a couple of “Comm error 405: Not Allowed” – moved to another page and back again, this time it worked.

**** This manual update will need to be done for each photo in each album uploaded ****

Films Album not edited – the manual descriptions might be better – consider **********.

Lots of photos and data in the website now – need to turn to Backup and Restore functionality / how to migrate to another host.